Friday, March 16, 2012

Samgyeopsal

So...
Life in Korea is somewhat falling into a pattern: have fun and do stuff on the weekends, class and homework during the week. Keep in mind that since I don't have class on Friday, every weekend is three days long.
This week I joined a photography club. Evidently they go out on Saturdays and take pictures of random, possibly famous places in Korea. It seems like a good way to meet new people and see more of  Korea.
I also went out with the guys from UT and a few SKKU engineering students. After meeting at the "Bridge of Dorms", aptly named by the exchange student liason for the ECE school, we went to eat Samgyeopsal, fried porkbelly. 'Twas delicious.

Part of our group. We had to sit on the floor. My hips protested.

Waitress adding a special sauce to our onions

Raw porkbelly

Waiter placing the charcoal in the table

We cooked the meat ourselves. This was the end result.
When the meat was cooked through, we either ate it with the onions or wrapped it in lettuce with other banchan. You had to be careful not to make your wrap too big. You're supposed to eat it in one bit since otherwise the juice gets everywhere.

Afterward, we went to a bar specializing in Makkeoli, a Korean rice wine. 'Twas also delicious.

At the Makkeoli bar. I forgot to turn on the flash, so it's a bit blurry.
Jeon, a kind of pancake with seaweed?, eggs, and other ingredients

I also learned a few Korean drinking games:
1. Baskin Robbins 31- Everyone counts up to three numbers and the person who has to say 31 loses.
2. 3-6-9 - You start counting, but for every number that has a 3, 6, or 9 in it you have to clap. It gets tough in the 30s. The one to mess up loses.
3. Lucky Guess - After a chant, everyone points at someone else in the group randomly. The first person says a number, and you follow the pointed hands for the designated number of times. The last person suffers the dire consequences.

The next day, I met with my modern optics group, sort of. Only one other person showed up. We had a good time though and talked a lot about the differences between Korea and America.

AND I FINALLY GOT A SIM CHIP!!!
I went with Justin and Matthias to the KT store. We got there just before closing time but managed to get SIM chips. The phones should be activated on Monday, so I'll know then if it's really going to work.

I must have spent 6 hours in various phone shops before they gave me what I asked for

I also got my student ID card. It has a chip in it and everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment