Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Classes

The first two days of classes were interesting to say the least.

On Monday, I had class from 12 to 6. Signals and Systems was taught almost entirely in Korean with only a bit of English used during the announcements. The class notes are in English though and seem to be fairly straightforward. All we did was go over the syllabus for an hour, which gave me 30 minutes to find my next class.

Speaking of which... Each class is given a code for its location, with the first two numbers standing for the building, the next for the floor, and the last two for the room number. This would be a great system if they had given us a sheet of some sort telling us which building goes with which number. Thank goodness for HI-Club members.

Intro to Automatic Control was thankfully taught in English, I dropped Applied Math because even the notes were in Korean, and Calc 2 seems like review(and is taught by a white dude with the habit of punctuating with "Cheers!").

Later the HI-Club members decided to have a party, so we all went to a bar. On a Monday night. I had an early class the next day.
It was lots of fun though, and I got to know my fellow exchange students and HI-Club buddies a bit better. The best part was the free snacks.

I actually didn't feel all that bad the next day and ran for an hour in between my classes.
First was Modern Optics, in English. The class sounds interesting enough, though there are several group presentations which means that I'm going to have to work with up to 5 Koreans who will probably begrudge my presence since they'll have to speak English. It doesn't help that the professor told the class that because of me, all the presentations and lectures will be in English. Also, the professor expects us to teach ourselves the material. From Wikipedia. Not the most reputable of sources if you ask me.

Other than running, I taught myself how to print. All around campus, there are computer stations with printers underneath. You deposit your money into your account, and it costs 40 Won for one page. I went to the one downstairs and tried to print out my insurance information, but it didn't work. Two stations and 30 minutes later, I realized that the money slots on the first two had been broken. :(

My last class, Electromagnetic Wave Engineering seems the most interesting to me so far. The professor discussed a few of the complexities of transmission lines, some of which I had run into while working on my can crusher project. While leaving class, one of the other students caught up to me. We started talking and went to get our books. The calculus book I needed wasn't in stock at the campus book store, so he showed me another bookstore where I bought it. Good thing too, since I have homework due on Thursday.

Now here comes the shocker. Guess how much I paid for the books.

The one on the left is brand new, the other, slightly worn
78,000 Won for the both of them. 41,000 for the calc and 37,000 for the other one.
When I sell them back, I'll probably even be able to make a profit.

Then I had some yummy wang(king) mandu for dinner.

I got these from the same place I got the kimchi mandu

2,500 Won for a filling meal

No comments:

Post a Comment